Wednesday 26 November 2014

How I navigate

Overview Map

These are very handy for planning. In Iceland I used one. In Scotland I didn't. This was partly because I didn’t pass through London (Stanfords Map Shop) and partly because of a false idea that I must somehow know the UK. Of course I don’t. But at least I know a bit more now.

Preparation

Into my GPS I loaded three types of data
  • A map of the entire UK with most trails shown in fine detail.
  • Points of Interest (POI) for some landmarks in Britain (not very useful)
  • All the tracks from Walkhighlands. I could perhaps have done this better. 

Using the GPS

  • Most of the time I use the GPS merely to show far it is to the next objective ("as the crow flies"). 
  • I seldom need it to find out where I am. 
  • In some places I use it to see if I am straying from the GPS track.
  • On cross country sections I note the distance and bearing then use a compass and distance estimation. I recheck fairly frequently depending on terrain.
  • I record waypoints for the places where I sleep each day and use these to create a map.

I navigate at many levels

Each level answers different questions...
  • 200km - Where is the next resupply point? How many days will it take to cover this stage?
  • 20km - What is today’s objective? Where would be a good place for a lunch break?
  • 2km - Where the next objective? Does it go up to a pass or along a river? Is there a boggy section coming up?
  • 200m - Where does the trail go next? Are there any turns coming up? Are there any notable landmarks?
  • 20m - Where am I going now? Am I still on the trail? What do I see on the ground?
  • 2m - Where do I place my feet next?

...and requires different techniques
  • An overview map (preferably printed on plastic material) is ideal for the top levels - 200km and 20km. 
  • The GPS is quite helpful for searching for shops and towns 20km away, though the software could be a great deal better. Or use a smartphone.
  • The GPS is ideal for levels 2km and 200m. Once a course is set I refer to my watch compass from time to time and also mentally keep track of how far I have walked both in distance and time.
  • I check I’m on track at least every 20 mins (more if it is in thick forest, complicated terrain or poor weather) and try to avoid assuming too much about “where the track must go”.
  • Your own eyes, attention and trail walking experience are needed for the next 20m. Trail markings, footprints and wear help at this level too.
  • We’ve been doing the 2m level since we were about a year old so hopefully by now we have got this one nailed. Although it is remarkable to see how inefficient many people are. This is especially notable when walking in groups, which tend as a whole to proceed even slower than the slowest member.

Last but not least I make my own decisions about where to cross a river, based on the conditions I find at the time.

No comments: