Wednesday 26 November 2014

Navigation overview

There are of course several ways of navigating, and we choose the one that best suits our needs and abilities under our particular circumstances.

Using the notes

One method is following detailed written instructions, and if that is your thing then the Track Notes are commendably accurate and complete; at least as far as I could tell. 
I put them into my Kindle and by a (as I like to think) cunning slight of hand I also put them into my GPS. This let me check something while on the move in wet weather.

However I mostly read the notes ahead of time, mainly as a heads up for anything of importance, but not really for the turn by turn instructions.

Using a map… or not

Section Walkers can print the one or two pages they need from the Walkhighlands website or carry the paper map that covers their area. For a Through Hiker it is different.

Given the cost and weight of sufficient paper maps at a useful scale to cover the entire trail, it was a complete no-brainer to opt for another paperless walk. My Pyrenees and Iceland Traverses (amongst others) were useful practice. 

As backup I had downloaded all the maps to an iPod touch and carried two compasses (one on my watch). 

For much of the time the trail is well marked. There are sections, particularly towards the end, where you have to work it out for yourself. This gives a great sense of freedom.

The GPS tracks

Like the notes these are available from the Walkhighlands website, and I give them five stars for accuracy and completeness. This is not as easy a job to do as it may seem, so I really want to emphasise that someone (or many people) did a top job. 

My Thanks and Congratulations. I am impressed.

No comments: